2013-03-14

Pontifex Franciscus

What an experience at St. Peter's Square yesterday. After more than 10 hours standing under an umbrella, white smoke came out, joy erupted and the rain stopped. I will let the pictures tell my story.

Rain has been pouring on and off all day in Rome.
Habemus avem! The first seagull appeared at 4:30 pm, and the second one (or is it the same one?) came at 5:40 pm and stayed on top of the chimney for 40 minutes, seemingly aiding the cardinal-electors underneath with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit.
The crowd has filled up St. Peter's Square before 7.
Near 7 pm, I knew things would turn well. Given that there are no infirmaries, if no pope was elected in the 4th and 5th ballots, smoke would come out at 6:45 pm. And voilĂ . White smoke came out at 7:06 pm!
Unlike 8 years ago, the bells of St. Peter's Basilica began to ring right away.
The Swiss Guards and the Vatican Gendarmes came out in formation in their best dresses.
The Cardinal Protodeacon proclaimed "Habemus Papam": Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum; habemus Papam: Eminentissimum ac Reverendissimum Dominum, Dominum Georgium Marium Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae Cardinalem Bergoglio qui sibi nomen imposuit Franciscum.
No one around me knew who the new pope is. I had to explain to everyone about the Argentinean cardinal!
There he comes out! Pope Francis!
I am glad I bought a 1000mm-lens camera just for this occasion! The pictures are priceless!
Pope Francis began to address the Roman people in Italian.
Msgr. Guido Marini prepares to put on the stole on Pope Francis.
Learning from the mistake of his predecessor 8 years ago, Msgr. Guido Marini balanced the stole for the Pontiff before he gave his apostolic benediction. (Too bad Pope Francis refused to wear a mozetta.) I was glad to receive a plenary indulgence.
He continued to address the crowd in Spanish.
What a night! I am sure people slept well last night knowing that the Church is in good hands!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pix. What a lens you had! I wish I were there. I could only watch through live broadcast, thanks to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a stole, not a mitre. and he spoke in italian, not spanish. Thanks for the pictures. I'm glad you received the plenary indulgence, as did the rest of us, as stated right before it by the Cardinal ProtoDeacon.

    ReplyDelete